BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Film Premiere
Downtown Film Festival L.A. at Downtown Independent Theater
THE BOMBAY SAPPHIRE IMAGINATION SERIES Shorts Program screens at 7:00 pm, Fri/7-12 at Downtown Independent, followed by The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Series after-screening party, 8-10 pm, location TBD.
THE BOMBAY SAPPHIRE IMAGINATION SERIES - AFTER-SCREENING PARTY - Following the screening, each ticket will also grant access to a special after party reception featuring light bites and complimentary Bombay Sapphire cocktails. Location TBA.
Screenwriter Geoffrey Fletcher, who won the 2009 Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for the film “Precious,” will present the five award winning short films from the inaugural The “Bombay Sapphire Imagination Series: Film” competition and introduce his script for Year 2, which is currently accepting entries and being executively produced by Academy Award-winner, Adrien Brody. Bombay Sapphire Imagination Series: Film is a ground-breaking new competition challenging budding filmmakers around the world to create their own short film, by using their imagination to interpret Mr. Fletcher’s script. A short Q&A with Geoffrey will follow the screening.
The following 2013 winning entries will be presented:
• James Griffiths, a full-time film maker from London, whose film ‘Room 8’ is a live action cinematic piece in which miniature people, parallel universes and a twist at the end provide a true cinematic experience for the masses.
• Shekhar Bassi, an aspiring film maker living in London, whose film ‘The Mrs’ is an entertaining black comedy crime, telling the story of adysfunctional couple’s marriage.
• Cadi Catlow, an animation director, who created stop motion film ‘The Crab’ set in an extremely limited environment that uses only subtitles and relies entirely on timing and extremely accurate animation to portray the emotions, thought processes and personalities of two crabs.
• Paul Frankl, a freelance director from London, whose film ‘Water Song’ tells the story of a deaf competitive swimmer who is given the opportunity to cheat.
• Alexis Barroso Gasc a writer, director and graphic designer from Spain, whose film ‘Concrete’ is set in an office block and tells the story of an executive man, a cleaner and a box, which brings your deepest darkest desires to life.
Your ticket to any festival screening or your festival badge is your complimentary pass to these events
Opening Night Film prescreening cocktail party at AT&T Center Theater / Tonight, 6:30 pm
Downtown Filmmakers Party at The Well / Sat. 10:30 pm
Centerpiece Gala Party at LACDA / Sun. 4:30 pm
"Pervertere" After-Screening Party at "secret artists loft" / Sun. 10:00 pm
"Counterpunch" After-Screening Party at Spring Street Studios / Wed., 9 pm
"Circle The Wagen" After-Screening Party At The Mixing Room, lobby level of J.W. Marriott Hotel at L.A. Live / Thurs. 9:30 pm
Closing Night Reception, location TBA / Sat. 5:00 pm
IF IT’S SUMMER IN THE CITY, THEN IT’S TIME FOR DOWNTOWN FILM FESTIVAL L.A.
The award-winning Downtown Film Festival L.A., now in its 5th year, will be held this year July 10-20 at the Downtown Independent Theater, the AT&T Center Theater, the Grammy Museum Clive Davis Theater, and alternative venues throughout downtown.
This year’s festival will screen more than 100 films — features, documentaries and shorts — from local, national and international filmmakers. The festival will showcase Los Angeles premieres from other leading festivals including Sundance, Slamdance, SXSW and Tribeca. Winners from the festival’s international digital shorts competition will be presented at the Los Angeles Center for Digital Art during the July 11th Downtown L.A. Art Walk. A special showcase of 3-D short films from France will screen on Sunday, July 14th.
Alexis Barroso Gasc / Paul Frankl / Cadi Catlow / Shekhar Bassi / James Griffiths / Geoffrey Fletcher